Bridge of Berdadzor-THE BRIDGES OF ARTSAKH

THE BRIDGES OF ARTSAKH

Bridge of Berdadzor

This is a single-span bridge (1920s) lying over the Berdadzor—the left tributary of the Hakari—a kilometre north-east of Metzshen Village, Shooshi District, Republic of Artsakh (RMK).

Span length: 5.30 metres; passage width: 5.05 metres; geographical coordinates: N 39°40°17.28,°° E 46°36°05.64.°°


Bridge of Hovsep-THE BRIDGES OF ARTSAKH

THE BRIDGES OF ARTSAKH

Bridge of Hovsep

The bridge extends in the south-east of Brajoor Village, Khanlar District—stripped of its Armenian population and occupied by Azerbaijan since 1988—Northern Artsakh. It was built by an inhabitant of the village named Hovsep Grigorian in 1927. __11. Grigorian, B. Brajoor. In: Gardmank, 1996, No. 1, p. 3 (the original in Armenian).


Bridge of Hak-THE BRIDGES OF ARTSAKH

THE BRIDGES OF ARTSAKH

Bridge of Hak

The bridge of Hak (1900s) is situated over one of the left tributaries of the river Aghavno, at the southern extremity of Hak Village, Kashatagh District, Republic of Artsakh (RMK). It represents a double-span structure of finely-finished and undressed stone with mortar.


Bridge of Dzorin Khach (Cross of the Gorge)-THE BRIDGES OF ARTSAKH

THE BRIDGES OF ARTSAKH

Bridge of Dzorin Khach (Cross of the Gorge)

The bridge is located at the southern extremity of Tzamdzor Village, Hadrut District, Republic of Artsakh (RMK). According to its construction inscription (see it in the Armenian text), set in the right-bank pier of its facade looking downstream, it was erected through the local people’s means in 1913:

Transl.: This (bridge) of Sourb Tzor is in memory of all the people of Tzamtzor, 1913.

Published for the first time.

Span length: 4.96 metres; passage width: 4.72 metres; geographical coordinates: N 39°29°37.02,” E 46°57’49.20.”


Bridge of Smbotan (Bast Shoe Strings)-THE BRIDGES OF ARTSAKH

THE BRIDGES OF ARTSAKH

Bridge of Smbotan (Bast Shoe Strings)

The bridge of Smbotan, which traces back to the early 20th century, extends 1.6 kilometre south of Tzamdzor Village, Hadrut District, Republic of Artsakh (RMK).

Span length: 4.15 metres; passage width: 3.28 metres; geographical coordinates: N 39°28°55.26,°° E 46°57°49.38.°°


Bridge of Suluk-THE BRIDGES OF ARTSAKH

THE BRIDGES OF ARTSAKH

Bridge of Suluk

The bridge of Suluk (1900s) stretches at the southern edge of Azat Village—stripped of its Armenian population and occupied by Azerbaijan since 1990—Khanlar District, Northern Artsakh.

Span length: 3.61 metres; passage width: 4.51 metres; height above water level: 7.10 metres.


Bridge of Yerkatavork-THE BRIDGES OF ARTSAKH

THE BRIDGES OF ARTSAKH

Bridge of Yerkatavork

This is a single-span bridge (1912 to 1913) of undressed stone and mortar located in Yerkatavork Village, Kashatagh District, Republic of Artsakh (RMK).

Span length: 9.15 metres; passage width: 3.10 metres; height above water level: 5.50 metres.

Its facade looking downstream bears a construction inscription in Arabic (see it in the Armenian text) carved on two separate stones (the inscription conveys the name of one of the builders of the bridge, Michael).

Five lines in the Arabic language engraved in embossed characters:

Transl.: Built under the patronage of Sama’s son Mah-Pet’s…, may the Lord grant him a lot of blessings, in the year 1331 (1912 to 1913).

Six lines in the Arabic language engraved in embossed characters:

Transl.: …with the participation of a select group of…, one of whom is Michael…

Published for the first time (decipherment by Raffi Kortoshian).

Span length: 9.15 metres; passage width: 3.10 metres; height above water level: 5.50 metres; geographical coordinates: N 39°18°51.72,°° E 46°36°11.46.°°


Kare (Stone) Bridge-THE BRIDGES OF ARTSAKH

THE BRIDGES OF ARTSAKH

Kare (Stone) Bridge

This bridge is found on the eastern edge of Brajoor Village, Khanlar District—stripped of its Armenian population and occupied by Azerbaijan since 1988—Northern Artsakh. It was erected with the local inhabitants’ means in 1910. __11. Grigorian, B. Brajoor. In: Gardmank, No. 1, 1996, p. 3 (the original in Armenian).


Bridges Named Mazi (Geti Gomeri)-THE BRIDGES OF ARTSAKH

THE BRIDGES OF ARTSAKH

Bridges Named Mazi (Geti Gomeri)

This name is used with reference to two adjacent bridges lying in the middle of the road running from Mataghis towards Jraberd via the valley of the river Trtu (Tartar), on the border-line between Metzshen and Tonashen Villages, Martakert District, Republic of Artsakh (RMK). According to a preserved construction inscription (see it in the Armenian text), the second of these bridges was built in 1902 through master Abraham Kamaliants’s efforts, with the financial assistance of Harutiun Hayrapetiants from Tonashen:

Transl.: This bridge was erected in 1902 with the means of Harutiun Hayrapetian from Tonashen Village. The master of this bridge is Abraham Kamaliants from Gyune Jartar, 1902.

Published for the first time.

Adjoining this bridge are the remnants of another similar monument which is evidently older—probably, dating from the Middle Ages—and is certain to have been reduced to ruins much earlier (its left-bank pier is comparatively better preserved).

Unfortunately, the bridge known by the names Mazi, or Geti Gomeri was blown up in the aftermath of hostilities during the liberation struggle of Artsakh. At present the site is occupied by a new bridge of metal which is situated in a position higher than the annihilated one.

Mazi Bridge used to have a span length of 8.62 metres with a passage width of 4.20 metres, its height above water level amounting to 10.75 metres.


Bridges in Banants-THE BRIDGES OF ARTSAKH

THE BRIDGES OF ARTSAKH

Bridges in Banants

These bridges extend over one of the left tributaries of the river Artinajoor flowing through Banants Village, Karhat (Dashkesan) District, Northern Artsakh—a region that suffered deportation of its Armenian population in 1988 and has been annexed to Azerbaijan since then. Each of them has a semi-circular vault with a span length of 3 metres on average. The main building material used in their construction comprises undressed stone and mortar.